I thought I’d do a quick recap of our travels in 2014. We consider ourselves part-time travellers because travel is our hobby and our passion. My husband has a (very) full-time job and gets six weeks annual leave. Believe it or not, he doesn’t even take his full six weeks every year, and occasionally he even works on vacation. The children are in full-time education. We don’t take them out of school if it’s not vacation time. Luckily, they seem to have a lot of holiday time.
This list is what we got up to in 2014:
- Ringing in the New Year in the USA ( Washington D.C.)
- Skiing in Val d’Isere, France
- Weekend in Rye, England
- Easter in the USA (Pennsylvania, Washington D.C. and The Outer Banks in North Carolina)
- Touring the D-Day battle sites in Normandy, France with the Boy Scouts of America
- Short Break in Marrakech, Morocco
- Weekend in Copenhagen, Denmark for The Hive Bloggers Conference
- July and August on the East Coast of the USA (Boston, Martha’s Vineyard, Washington D.C., Pennsylvania, New York)
- Road trip through the Northwest USA (Wyoming and South Dakota)
- Short Break in Berlin, Germany
- Short Break in Athens, Greece for TBEX
- Weekend in East Sussex, England
- Short break in Vienna, Austria
- Short break in Dublin, Ireland
- New Year’s in Cape Town, South Africa
We returned to the USA three times last year to visit friends and family. My parents are not well enough to travel and so we always visit them. Aging parents in your home country are one of the big downsides with living an expat life. Fortunately, I was able to flee the USA in January before the polar vortex did its worst because I am no longer comfortable driving in heavy snow.
Although we travelled a lot, we only did 2 trips that was just our immediate family and was purely a vacation. Both trips (the one through Wyoming and South Dakota and one to South Africa) were absolutely amazing and created some of our favourite memories.
My husband and I were able to take a short trip to Berlin on our own. It was nice to have some couple time! The children were upset we couldn’t take them but I think it’s important for them to realise we need our space too.
I haven’t blogged about many of the places that we went. I have the best intentions but just get back-logged! Then, it’s onto our next destination. I intend to try harder to stay up to date on our blogging adventures in 2015!