Welcome to the show notes for the fourth episode of the Just Go Places Podcast. Episode Four looks at great places to take your kids in lower Manhattan.
Today’s guest is Andrew Tolentino who is one member of the blogging team behind Dish Our Town, a family food and travel blog. The Tolentinos are leaving their beloved NoLiTa (the Manhattan neighbourhood that stands for North of Little Italy) to travel the world for a year or more.
Andrew grew up in the Lower East Side of Manhattan as well as having lived in NoLiTa as an adult. He’s seen a lot of changes in lower Manhattan, all for the better as far as families and visitors with children are concerned.
Lower Manhattan is a microcosm of the immigrant dream which shaped both New York City and the nation as a whole. Andrew gives us the inside scoop on his favourite places to visit and to eat in this area that he loves so much.
There are lots of big-name sightseeing attractions in New York City that its easy to overlook a large chunk of lower Manhattan. But I agree with Andrew that embracing a bit of slow travel – browsing the stores and munching at eateries as you make your way through this neighbourhood – really gives you a sense of what makes New York City such a cosmopolitan and exciting place to live and to visit.
Listen to Episode 4 Below:
As Mentioned in the Podcast:
Andrew’s suggestions include (click through for links):
- Columbus Park
- Battery Park
- One World Trade Center Observation Deck
- New Museum for contemporary art located on The Bowery
- The Basilica of St. Patricks Old Cathedral on Mulberry Street
- Lombardis Pizzeria on Spring Street
- L’asso Pizzeria on Mott Street
- Rubirosa Pizzeria on Mulberry Street
- Ferrara Bakery and Cafe in Little Italy
- Di Palos Italian delicatessen on Grand Street
- Kossar’s Bialys on Grand Street
- Shanghai Asian Manor on Mott Street
- Wonton Garden on Mulberry Street
- Golden Unicorn for dim sum
- Peasant on Elizabeth Street
- Jack’s Wife Freda on Lafayette Street
Reviews and Subscriptions:
(And, a final thanks!)
I’d really appreciate if you could leave reviews for the Just Go Places podcast on iTunes. You can find the episodes by clicking this link which takes you to iTunes. These reviews are extremely helpful feedback to me so that I an fine-tune the show to what people would like. In addition, they help increase the rankings of this podcast which is extremely helpful for a newbie show. I really appreciate and read each review!
Oh yeah, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much!